I am here today, after a long break. And consistently on break. Sharing with you today is my Santan-less Nasi Lemak.
|Hakim's. Fried his own egg with ibu's help|
This is how we enjoy nasi lemak in my house. Due to Sabrina's allergy and my laziness, our nasi lemak is always santan-less. Or else, Sabrina may never be able to taste what it is nasi lemak. This recipe came out after several failings, failures and frustration. And now, I would like to share the tips and tricks of making the SANTAN-LESS NASI LEMAK as how my family accepted it. --- Accepted it -- because if given choices, we would prefer the one with high cholestrol --- that is with santan. :-)
For the rice:
3 cups of rice (Basmathi if you prefer it)
4 cups of plain water
1 large onion
1 inch of ginger - sliced
1 table spoon of evaporated milk
2 tablespoon of olive oil
1 Pandanus leaf - tie into a knot
Salt to taste
1. Rinse the rice and put aside.
2. Heat the pot. Put in the olive oil. Followed by the pandanus leaf, onion and ginger.
3. Wait till the fragrant of the ginger is strong, add the milk and followed immediately is the rice.
4. Mix well.
5. Later add in the water. When it starts boiling, lower the heat and put the lid on.
6. Wait till the rice is cooked.
|Sabrina's. Only with egg yolk.|
The sambal : For the sambal, as I always have my chillies readily cooked. When coming home from the office at 6pm, I simply at the squid into the chilly paste. Let it boil, and everything is ready. That is how working mothers survived with their dinners on weekdays.