Betul ke tak ejaan kue tiao ni? Kira betul je lah kan. This is something that I prepared for dinner. Kadang-kadang tu buntu memikirkan nak masak apa. Melompat-lompat dari satu dapur ke satu dapur, still could not figure out what to cook. Kids do not really like eating rice, especially Hakim. He will grumble if rice is served --- "tadi kat sekolah dah makan nasi, ni makan nasi lagi ... hmmmm.... ---
A visit to Kedai Pak Aji for some vege in the evening gave the idea of having kue tiao. But not the fried kue tiao, it's kue tiao in soup. This simple recipe I got from my cousin, Abang Fadzil. As an ex-army, he likes cooking, creative and like to try new recipes. He is already 60++. His recipe requires the kue tiao to be wrapped in the egg, but I just ignore the steps as my dear Sabrina cannot eat egg ---- malas pun ye jugak.
5 - 6 medium sized prawns
Sliced/ minced chicken/ chicken ball etc. - to add flavour to the soup
5 cloves of garlic - chopped
1 red onion - sliced
2 table spoon of Corn flour - to thicken the soup
Some veges - spinach, tomato etc.
Salt and pepper to taste.
2 table spoon of cooking oil
- Heat the wok and cooking oil. Saute the garlic till brownish.
- Once brownish, add the prawn. Turning it once it turn red, add minced chicken.
- Let the liquid in the prawn appear before adding the plain water for the soup.
- Remove the prawns from the wok so that it will not destroy the texture.
- Let it boil for a little while until the chicken is well cooked. Add veges.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, pour in the corn flour mixture. Let it boil and ready to be served.
Eat it with the kue tiao that has been boiled very briefly.
This is Sabrina's bowl - without the sliced egg.