Let's talk about the GOURD (labu air) today. From a reading in a book on the food that Rasulallah SAW likes, the gourd is one of his favourite. But, sorry, I forgot the exact name of the book.
To those who are not sure how the gourd or labu air looks like (ye la... maybe other people called it differently), here it is .... pic obtained from Pusat Maklumat Rakyat.
Here are some benefit of the gourd or some call it the bottle gourd for it's shape that is like a bottle. I found this on lifestyle.iloveindia.com.
- High in sodium and potassium, bottle gourd is an excellent vegetable for hypertension patients.
- It is a suitable vegetable for light, low-cal diets as well as for children, people with digestive problems, diabetics and convalescents.
- It helps in treating urinary disorders, since it serves as an alkaline mixture for treating burning sensation in urinary passage, caused by high acidity of urine.
- Bottle gourd is recommended by ayurvedic physicians for balancing the liver function, when the liver is inflamed and cannot efficiently process food for maximum nutrition and assimilation.
- Drinking a glass of bottle gourd juice once in the early morning helps in treating grey hair.
- Mixing the juice with sesame oil provides an effective medicine for insomnia. Massage the scalp with this preparation every night.
- Bottle gourd juice is very helpful in treating insanity, epilepsy, stomach acidity, indigestion, ulcers and other nervous diseases.
- A glass of bottle gourd juice, mixed with a little salt, helps in preventing excessive loss of sodium from the body. It quenches thirst, prevents fatigue and keeps one refreshed during summers.
- The juice extracted from the leaves of bottle gourd is beneficial in jaundice.
- Bottle gourd juice is also very useful for shedding extra calories and maintaining optimum health.
I like the last one best - shedding extra calories. Hihihi
The dish I am sharing with all of you today is my own 'trial & error' recipe. Tapi, Alhamdulillah tak error. Success!!! This is based on the dish that Restoran Mamak usually sells. While eating it at the kedai Mamak I tried to figure out the ingredients. And here it goes ....
1 biji labu - dibuang kulit dan dipotong setebal lebih kurang 1 cm. Marinated with the salt and tumeric powder
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
1 onion - sliced
2 stalks of dried chillies
2 table spoon of dried shrimps
1 teaspoon of halba
1 table spoon of cooking oil
1. Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
2. Fry the onion, garlic, halba, dried shrimps and dried chillies till fragrant.
3. Add in the gourd.
4. Cook the gourd till it soften. You may add about table spoon of water if you like it watery. And it's ready to be served.
My father loves it because it is tender. Very suitable for a person with few teeth. My husband likes it too. But, my mother ate quite a lot of it, the last time I cooked it. Yes, Atikah also enjoys this simple dish!! As a conclusion, everybody likes it !!!!