How about a "ROTI BENGGALI" for dinner tonight?
I've been longing to eat the roti benggali. However, it's not so easy to find one here in Shah Alam. Making one is the solution. A google search for a "Roti Benggali" landed me to two cooking blogs: tiffinbiru.blogspot belongs to the famous Cik Mat Gebu and the other is the Baby.... Both provided me with an almost similar recipe.
The recipe is as follows:
350 gm bread flour
1table spoon shortening (l used butter)
A pinch of salt
Lukewarm water (120-160ml or 220ml) - different measurements from two different different recipies. l used 200ml and found it a little too soft.
1 tablespoon yeast (mauripan)
2 tablespoon coarse sugar
1. Mix (B) together. Put aside.
2. Mix (A) till mixed.
3. Slowly add (B) mixture into (A).
4. Knead well until it form a dough. Put aside and let it rise to doubled.
5. Once doubled, punch and knead the dough again to remove any trapped air.
6. Divide the dough into three portions. Put it into a 7 X 4 bread pan. Let it rise for 10 to 20 minutes.
7. Bake in a preheated oven, 175 degree celcius for about 20 minutes.
And this is how we consume our roti benggali - eat it with the fish curry made earlier for lunch.