600g bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons milk powder
4 teaspoons instant yeast
270ml cold water
120g mashed potato*
*Mashed potato that I used are just peeled potatos that you boil till soft and then mashed. It's not the ready made in powder form.
1. Mix (A) till well blended. Add (B) and knead to form a dough.
2. Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
3. Make the dough into a ball. Put in a bowl and cover with clear film. Put in a warm place to prove for 45 minutes.
4. Mould the dough into a balll and leave it to rest for a further 15 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into several 30g pieces. Mould them into balls and put them on a greased 23cm square baking pan, 16 pieces per pan. Makes 2 pans.
6. Cover and leave to prove for 40 minutes or till twice the size.
7. Brush with egg wash and pipe the custard to make a cross on top.
8. Bake at 180 C for 25 minutes on the lower shelf of the oven. Serve.
** As the dough is a bit sticky, put some flour on your hands before you start to make into balls.
1. Thoroughly mix 30g (60ml) custard powder, 30g (375ml) sugar and 50ml milk, while 450ml milk is being brought to boil.
2. Add boiling milk to mixture, stirring well.
3. Return to low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens.
Brush the buns with margarine soon as it's out of the oven, just to give it a shiny look!